An Introduction to the Beerdegadventure

Welcome to the Beerdegadventure (pronounced beer-day-gahd-venture)!  

Admittedly, "Beerdegadventure" is a clunky name, but it fits the decription of this blog. 

It is a portmanteau, of sorts, combing Beerdega and Adventure. Adventure is a no-brainer, everyone knows what that is, but Beerdega? 

Wikipedia describes a bodega as: 
" ...a small owner-operated convenience store. Its name is derived from the Spanish word for 'storeroom' or 'wine cellar'. Usually located on New York's street corners, they are renowned for their convivial culture and colorful character. There are an estimated 13,000 bodegas across the city."

I came up with the term "beerdega" to describe a bodega that has a strong craft beer game. 

A lot of bodegas are basic and, in some cases in neighborhoods with large Muslim populations, some don't even sell alcohol. But a beerdega is special. You never know what you'll find. So what is a Beerdegadventure?

I've decided to document an exploration of bodegas and, by extension, beerdegas.

I will find a bodega and enter, hoping to find something above and beyond their normal fare.... I am not interested in Coronas, or Budweisers, or tall boys (despite some craft breweries recent forays into these lines). I am looking for something I haven't seen before. A variety or a brand that jumps out at me.

Let's see where the beerdegadventure takes me!

Comments

Popular Posts